Saturday, February 06, 2010

it all started with cheesecake (and words in brackets)...

I knew there would be good conversations to be had when I randomly bumped into a friend from the retail (probably put me in) therapy days on my way to Medicare.

He was on his way to meet another friend from those halcyon days (read: paid drudgery) in the retail hotbox (yet again read: poorly air conditioned department store office). They were catching up for coffee and "I should come along too."

So I said I would once I sat in line at Medicare for my rebate (I'm still pondering why someone hasn't held up a Medicare branch - they have loads of monies).

On the way back (with monies firmly in my purse) they called to say they were getting coffee from Miss Maud.

"Miss Maud? Do they even do good coffee?" was my typical coffee snob response.

I was skeptical and bought Diet Coke (?! why on earth did I pick a diet soft drink) and a square of cheesecake (yep, that would explain the 'diet').

I pulled the cake tray out of its paper bag and sat down with my friends who were engaging in some gingerbread cannibalism.

I took one bite of my cheesecake and said, "That's a very '90s cheesecake."

Yes, a very '90s cheesecake. You heard (and read) right. And I got very much laughed at for saying so.

That was until I explained myself.

First of all, you may notice I said I had a square of cheesecake - that's a dead giveaway. It was that heavy kind of cheesecake with the thin jelly layer on top and the cream rosette on top.

And then I launched into this rant about how The Golden Girls ate cheesecake at least three times an episode.

Dorothy says, "I'm old and tall and live with my mum who's far cooler than me." To which the others say, "Sit down, I'll grab the cheesecake out of the fridge and we'll talk about it."

Blanche says, "I'm trying to be a cougar way ahead of my time." To which the others say, "Would you like some cheesecake?"

Rose says, "I want to tell you some long-winded nonsensical tale from my Scandinavian-American upbringing." To which the others say, "Here, have some bloody cheesecake."

Cheesecake - the super food of the early '90s.

By the way, your typical '90s cheesecake is a Boston cheesecake.

No comments: