Monday, February 08, 2010

a definition of serendipity

She was curling my hair and trying to explain the concept of definition to me.

I don't know about you but someone trying to explain hair terms is kind of like someone trying to physics to me, I just don't get it. I probably never will and I'm fine with that.

The curling was going fine but she felt a propensity to chat - I think hairdressers must have an "Idle Chit Chat" unit in their Certificate IV of Hairdressing course. She started talking about her impatience for things in life.

I told her, "You just have to rely on serendipity."

When she said, "What's serendipity?" I knew I'd used too many syllables.

I'd have to explain myself.

"It's kind of like the opposite of impatience - letting the happy coincidences happen," I began.

Clearly they don't teach them philosophy for beginners at TAFE.

"Oh! I just want the serendipity to happen right now!"

Teaching a hairdresser about serendipity is kind of like teaching journalist about defined curl.

No comments: