Sunday, February 14, 2010

status

This weekend I got in the social pages.

It's a weird feeling - odd that someone thought you were wearing the right clothes (if only they knew!) and looked the requisite part of the party (I think 'arty glitterati was how they described the partygoers of this particular event...). And don't get me wrong - it was a great party with great people, great music and an adequate amount of alcohol. I had a blast.

And while it's nice to get your snap in the paper and it's nice having people who can be bothered flicking through the TV guide notice you; it's not exactly the be all and end all.

If my life's work was to end up in the social pages, then let's just say I haven't exactly arrived. Nowhere near. If my CV was made up of social appearances (or even social invitations!), it would be dismal.

But then I think of what really matters. I'd much rather be photographed for being at Lauren's kitchen tea (having an epic long conversation with her grandma), or at Mandy's birthday party (where the music really was abysmal), or at quiet Thursday night drinks at The Stanley (where you can wear what you want). Those are moments that matter, moments where my attendance means something to the people throwing the party. If I weren't there, wasn't invited, I'd be shattered. Absolutely bereft.

So status, parties, pictures in the paper? I can take it or leave it. I'm not being a snob, I just recognise the value that comes from time with real friends, laughing drinking, eating and just being with those I adore.

And I don't need my mug in the paper to remind me how important that is.

No comments: