Sunday, February 21, 2010

little by little

otherwise known as the post where I realise I'm not batshit insane.

I'm reading I book about writing at the moment. Yeah, the irony of reading a 250ish page book about writing certainly isn't lost on me; why read about writing when you could just right?

But I am and it's inspirational. It's called Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott and it's not your standard here's some traditional stuff about what plot is and then what character is.

Although it's littered with early '90s references, I feel as those she's describing my procrastination, my unrealistic thoughts and more importantly she talks about Radio Station KFKD - or K-Fucked as the case may be. The theory is that this station messes with your head in stereo. One channel is telling you you're awesome, amazing and the best ever. Meanwhile exactly at the same time the other channel is saying you're crap, you can't do it and it won't work. Whatever 'it' is.

And it's more than mildly disruptive to the writing process, to the anything process.

I couldn't paint such a vivid picture of this as Anne Lamott has - but this is exactly what has happened with anything in my professional life over the past five or so years.

Like I said earlier, it's good to know I'm not batshit insane.

She says to switch of KFKD, you have to take a deep breath - funny how the difficult things are often answered so obviously.

So that's my aim - take a deep breath, turn off KFKD and get into it. Whatever it takes to get going.

No comments: